Seeing as all of my time has been occupied by organising society events and trying to get assignments out the way, I haven’t really done much worth writing about lately.
In my quest for things to write about during these rather dry times (not literally dry, it’s pouring it down right now!) I have of course done a little snooping around on some other creative blogs. One thing I seem to be noticing a trend for, is bloggers writing their ‘bucket-list’; all of the things they want to get done before they die.
As much as I like this idea, if I were to write down all of the things I’d like to do before I die, it’s safe to say I’d be here for a very long time! Then again, if I were to take it smaller scale and write down just the things I’d like to do in, for example, the year 2017, it wouldn’t work either because I have so many plans but I simply don’t know what I will end up doing first. Plus, I know it’s just a title, but the idea of naming something a ‘bucket-list’ just makes me a little uncomfortable; I feel way too alive to be talking about ‘squeezing things in before I die’!
So, here is my compromise: ‘The Ten Year To-Do List.’
A collection of 52 things that I’d love to get done between 2015 and 2025. It seems perfect, especially considering that most of the list will be made up of travel-related items and my current passport was actually issued just before I turned 20 and expires just before the big 3-0…I’d definitely like this one to be bursting with stamps by the end!
So, in the most random order ever, here we go!
[Update: I’m actually doing it! Slowly but surely, I’m crossing off things on my very ambitious to do list! They are so amazing it just seems completely surreal. As I cross them off and write down the date I completed them, I can barely believe it – I am so grateful.)
Be the first of my family to visit the Southern hemisphere(Completed August 2015) Live abroad for six months or more(Completed January-July 2016, my semester in Brazil)
- Explore Japan (for at least a month)
- Bathe in hot springs in Iceland
- See the Northern Lights
Run a 10k Race(Completed September 2016 AND October 2016, I ran two 10k races!) Run a Half Marathon(Completed March 2017 AND October 2017, I ran two Half Marathons, what!?) Graduate my degree with First Class honours(Completed July 2017, as Student of the Year!)
- Visit relatives in Hungary, learn more about this part of my heritage
- Learn how to make authentic Hungarian apple strudel
- Have an Amazon rain-forest adventure
Get paid to write(Content writing career? Acquired!) Volunteer at a nature reserve(Completed Autumn 2015, my time at the wonderful Indígena Nature Reserve)
- Work for a successful travel/international-related magazine or publication.
- Write, illustrate, and publish at least one children’s book
- Go to the Galapagos Islands and see a giant tortoise
- Visit every country in Central America, or at least most of them!
Snorkel in the fresh water coral reefs of Bonito(Completed February 2016)
- Explore Easter Island
- Have a successful art exhibition
Spend Christmas abroad, preferably in a really festive and snowy place(Completed Christmas 2016: a festive skiing Christmas in Zell am See, Austria) Have a collection of art journals full of memories from places I’ve visited(An ongoing project, my collection is ever growing!) Reach fluency in Spanish(I’m always learning of course, and I need to make sure I keep up to maintain my fluency) Reach fluency in Portuguese(Still learning this too, but if I keep on practising as I am, I can confidently say I’m fairly fluent!)
- Reach fluency in Italian
- Explore Alaska and Canada
Teach a class(Completed 2015, my lovely Basque Country class!)
- Learn basic-intermediate Polish
- Visit Poland and my Polish auntie’s relatives
- Set up or take part in a project to help homeless people in the city by giving them care packages with gloves, hats, scarves, etc.
See the awesome Iguassu Falls(Completed January 2016)
- See Angel Falls
- Learn basic-intermediate Russian
- Travel across Russia (see more than just Moscow and St. Petersburg)
- Get married to Will (eek)
- Take a trip to Morocco
Embrace my inner bookworm(Audiobooks count, right!? If so, then I’m completing this one as we speak)
- Attend Latin dancing classes
- Be ‘running out of pages in my passport’ just like the girl Drake is singing to in Hotline Bling.
- Stop biting my nails (properly)
Travel Alone(Done this so many times now! It is such a great experience to embrace)
- Learn British sign language
- Take 12 trips in 1 year (one trip per month!)
- Cook 3 courses and host a successful ‘Come Dine with Me’ style dinner party
Give blood(Completed 2015)
- Actually give blood regularly!!
- Own a home (This is already ambitious enough, but while we are dreaming: I’d like it to have large windows, a beautiful garden, and a creative studio!)
Stay in contact with, and revisit, friends from around the world(Can’t really be ‘completed’, it’s always ongoing!)
- See a huge whale (swimming in the wild)
- Take flight in a hot air balloon
- Visit somewhere with no light pollution and camp underneath a sky full of stars
- Finally organise and edit all of the videos from my year abroad to make a mini movie
So there we have it, I’m sure this is subject to change, and I can’t promise I’ll do them all by 2025- but I can promise that I’m going to have a great time trying! [Update as of 2017: 18 down, 34 to go!]
Comment and tell me a few things you’d love to do within the next 10 years…