Seeing as all of my time has been occupied by organising society events and trying to get assignments out the way, I haven’t really done much worth writing about lately. (But cramming in all of my work before term ends will be so worth it when I’m finally free to embark on my Christmas Adventure; see item #22 on the list for a big clue…)
In my quest for things to write about during these rather dry times (not literally dry, it’s pouring it down right now!) I have of course done a little snooping around on some other creative blogs. One thing I seem to be noticing a trend for, is bloggers writing their ‘bucket-list’; all of the things they want to get done before they die.
As much as I like this idea, if I were to write down all of the things I’d like to do before I die, it’s safe to say I’d be here for a very long time! Then again, if I were to take it smaller scale and write down just the things I’d like to do in, for example, the year 2017, it wouldn’t work either because I have so many plans but I simply don’t know what I will end up doing first. Plus, I know it’s just a title, but the idea of naming something a ‘bucket-list’ just makes me a little uncomfortable; I feel way too alive to be talking about ‘squeezing things in before I die’!
So, here is my compromise: ‘The Ten Year To-Do List.’
A collection of 53 things that I’d love to get done between 2015 and 2025. It seems perfect, especially considering that most of the list will be made up of travel-related items and my current passport was actually issued just before I turned 20 and expires just before the big 3-0…I definitely want this one to be bursting with stamps by the end!
(This also includes some amazing things that I’ve actually already done and seem so surreal that I’d like to take this opportunity to physically type them out and cross them off just to really believe I’ve done them) So, in the most random order ever, here we go!
- Be the first of my family to visit the Southern hemisphere (August 2015)
- Live abroad for six months or more (January-July 2016)
- Explore Japan (for at least a month)
- Bathe in hot springs in Iceland
- See the Northern Lights
- Complete a 10k Race (September 2016 and October 2016)
Complete a Half Marathon (March 2017)
- Graduate my degree with First Class honours
- Visit relatives in Hungary, learn more about this part of my heritage
- Learn how to make authentic Hungarian apple strudel
- Have an Amazon rain-forest adventure
- Get paid to write
Volunteer at a nature reserve (2015)
- Volunteer again (preferably at another wildlife-related sanctuary/reserve)
- Work for a successful travel/international-related magazine or publication.
- Write, illustrate, and publish at least one children’s book
- Go to the Galapagos Islands and see a giant tortoise
- Tour every country in Central America
- Snorkel in the fresh water coral reefs of Bonito (February 2016)
- Explore Easter Island
- Have a successful art exhibition
Spend Christmas abroad (preferably in a really, really festive and snowy place)(*UPDATE: I had an amazing Christmas 2016 adventure in Zell am See, Austria- click here to read all about it!)
- Have a collection of art journals full of memories from places I’ve visited
- Reach C1 fluency in Spanish
- Reach C1 fluency in Portuguese
- Reach C1 fluency in Italian
- Explore Alaska and Canada
Teach a class (2015)
- Learn basic-intermediate Polish
- Visit Poland and my Polish auntie’s relatives
- Set up a project to help homeless people in the city by giving them care packages with gloves, hats, scarves, etc.
See the Iguassu Falls (January 2016)
- See Angel Falls
- Learn basic-intermediate Russian
- Travel across Russia (see more than just Moscow and St. Petersburg)
- Get married (eek)
- Take a trip to Morocco
- Embrace my inner bookworm
- Attend Latin dancing classes
- Be ‘running out of pages in my passport’ just like the girl Drake is singing to in Hotline Bling.
- Stop biting my nails (properly)
Travel Alone (Done this so many times now! It is such a great experience to embrace)
- Learn British sign language
- Take 12 trips in 1 year (one trip per month!)
- Cook 3 courses and host a successful ‘Come Dine with Me’ style dinner party
Give blood (2015)
- Give blood regularly!!
- Own a home with large windows, a beautiful garden, and a creative studio
- Stay in contact with, and revisit, friends from around the world
- See a huge whale (swimming in the wild)
- Take flight in a hot air balloon
- Visit somewhere with no light pollution and camp underneath a sky full of stars
- Finally organise and edit all of the videos from my year abroad to make a mini movie
So there we have it, I’m sure this is subject to change, and I can’t promise I’ll do them all by 2025- but I can promise that I’m going to have a great time trying!
Comment and tell me one or two things you’d love to do in the next 10 years…