So apparently half of the year has already whizzed by. And I’ve been so busy that the time has flown past without me even noticing it!
Since everything has calmed down a bit now and I have more time to think, I decided that 1st July, which officially marks the mid-year point (well, in my mind anyway…) would be the perfect date for a bit of reflection, and to make some #HalfYearResolutions.
What were my goals for 2017?
When evaluating how far I’ve come this year, I thought a good place to start would be to compare where I am now with the goals I set myself at the beginning of 2017. According to my New Year’s blog post, these were:
- Continue studying hard enough to graduate my degree with First-Class honours (the highest honours classification)
- Continue with my fitness training so that I can complete a Half Marathon
- And continue the onward and upward trend with my blog (with the eventual aim of monetising it)
Where am I now, halfway through the year?
Looking back at how big and scary these goals seemed to me at the start of this year, I can’t help but feel quite proud of myself and all of the hard work that I have put in- so please excuse me indulging myself by bragging just a little bit, because…
- Not only have I now officially graduated my degree with First-Class honours (hello top 15%!) but I also somehow won the University of Birmingham’s prestigious Student of the Year Award 2017! Which I am very shocked about, but completely over the moon!
- Not only did I train up for and run my first ever Half Marathon with my dad back in March, I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I actually enjoyed it. So much so that I am training to run another one in October, whaaat!? (Also, we will be raising money for Birmingham Children’s Hospital, which is such an amazing cause, so if you’re feeling generous, donations of any size would be really appreciated. You can click here to visit our Just Giving fundraising page)
- And finally, I still may not be a famous blogger, and I certainly don’t get huge amounts of views if you compare me to the ‘greats’ of blogging, but my onward on upward trend has definitely been continuing healthily. My steady growth of views and visitors is still rising, and I now have officially had more visitors (and nearly as many views) in the past 6 months than I did in the whole of 2016, which is a very good sign!
So what now? #HalfYearResolutions
Well, there’s no stopping now, so it looks like I’m going to need some new goals, or as I’ve named them, #HalfYearResolutions (I don’t think they are actually a thing… yet)
Three seemed to be a magic number last time, so lets go for three again. After a (very) long, hard think about what I want to get from the rest of this year, I’ve decided that these are the (general) goals I’m going to start working towards:
1. Monetising my blog:
I know I said this before, but it was much more difficult while studying- now it’s time to get serious. Since graduating I’ve had much more free time to invest, and I’ve already sourced new ways to bring in visitors, and new ways to make money from my blog (and blogging/freelance writing in general). There’s an incredible amount of hard-work to be done, but I have a plan for my next steps (including making the move to self-hosting, yikes, if anyone has any tips for me regarding this, please let me know!) and I’m confident that I will eventually get to a point where I’m happy with the amount that I’m earning from blogging.
2. Pursuing a career:
Of course, it would be my dream to monetise blogging to the point that it could be a full-time career. Having said this though, I’m not against pursuing more of a ‘conventional’ career. I have other passions, like using my foreign languages, or doing really nerdy things like editing and proof-reading; if I could pursue a full-time career in these areas and make money on the side from blogging, I would be more than happy! I have an editorial internship with HarperCollins publishers coming up this summer which I am super excited about. Then after that I will make it my goal to continue pursuing a career in editorial/publishing (…know of any opportunities? you know where to find me!)
3. Making more time for art and illustration:
Since these goals seem to be all about channeling more time and energy into my passions, I just can’t leave out art/illustration. Getting all creative in an art journal or sketchbook might be the one thing that I enjoy even more than creating a new blog post. And if I enjoy something that much, why not make more time for it? I’m hoping that while making improvements to my blog, I can also begin to introduce more of my artwork, like my monthly inspirations/site header collages, or my illustrated guides to cities/destinations. (I’m not claiming to have made any masterpieces, but if you do so fancy a gander at my artistic creations, please check out my Instagram account @aspiretoamble )
How is your mid-year reflection looking? What are your goals for the rest of the year? Leave a comment and let’s make #HalfYearResolutions like, a thing…