As it has got ever closer to my final day in Florianópolis, I’ve been feeling more and more melancholic. Now the day is here.
On the one hand, I absolutely cannot wait to get back to my family and friends and all of the other things I have missed over the past 6 months, but on the other, I feel so genuinely gutted that this amazing year has come to an end and that I have to leave this place that I now live in and love. It is so hard to feel both happy and sad at the same time; I’m so emotionally torn!
I thought that a good idea would be to write an article about all of the things that I will miss when I leave, but there are just far too many to squeeze them all into one.
So, as you can see, I have been a very busy bee, overcome by my passion for Florianópolis, and have written five articles in the past 48 hours! This post acts almost as a little catalogue or guide to the new content, or as I like to think of it, ‘The Floripa Favourites Collection.’
Here are some of the things I will miss most about living in Florianópolis, and links to the related articles:
1. Eating and Drinking: How can this not be the first thing I mention? There are so many things I love to eat and drink here that I will truly miss when I am back in the UK, including tapioca, quentão, and açaí, so I wrote a great big post dedicated to all of them; click here to read more.
2. The Brazilian People: The people I have met here are so genuinely open and nice, they definitely live up to the Brazilian happy stereotype. Click here to read about my experiences with these kind people over the semester.
3. Marvelling at the Sky: It seems that almost every day here I feel I need to remark on how beautiful the sky is, I’ve never known a place where it looks so stunning all the time. Click here to see some of my favourite sunset sky photos.
4. Running alongside Lagoa: I went from someone who most likely never ran more than a kilometre in their life to running 5km an average of 4 times a week ever since I moved to Lagoa in April. And I think that is almost entirely down to the beauty of the place! Click here to see photos of my favourite running routes.
5. The Beaches: You thought I wouldn’t bring this up again didn’t you? Who wouldn’t adore living on an Island with 42 beaches and being able to visit them whenever you like? If you haven’t already, click here (part 1) or here (part 2) to read about all of the amazing beaches I have visited.
6. Amazing Street art: As well as being a place of natural beauty, Florianópolis is also home to some talented artists; beautiful street-art is everywhere you look! Click here to see photos of some of my favourite pieces.